That’s a lot of books and almost 8,000 pages more than last year’s total.
Looking back at that lot, there’s a lot of really good books (there were one or two bad ones as well including a couple I didn’t finish and one or two I didn’t post on Goodreads).
It’s hard to pick favourites but here’s some of the best full length books (roughly in the order I read them):
- Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig (this is currently on offer for $1.99. Just saying.)
- Mockingbird by Chuck Wendig
- The Cormorant by Chuck Wendig
- The Bureau of Them by Cate Gardner
- The Voodoo Killings by Kristi Charish
- Young Slasher by S. Elliot Brandis
- Necrotech by K. C. Alexander
- Little Dead Red by Mercedes M. Yardley
- 50 Shades of Brain by Jeff Chacon
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Mallerman
That last one would be my pick for best book I read all year, with Mercedes M. Yardley’s Bram Stoker award winning, Little Dead Red a close second. They’re all worth checking out though.
Plenty of good short stories too, including my favourites:
- Leviathan by Saul Tanpepper
- Elektrograd: Rusted Blood by Warren Ellis
- Let Go by Michael Patrick Hicks
- Shadow Moths by Cate Gardner (actually two shortish stories in one book)
- The Walk Up Nameless Ridge by Hugh Howey
- Recursion by Brian Walton
And finally, I got through a lot of audio books. These were my favourites.
- All Craig Schaefer’s Daniel Faust series, starting with The Long Way Down (the Harmony Black books are good too)
- Lock In by John Scalzi
- Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wendig
- The Dispatcher by John Scalzi
Sign up for my newsletter and get four free ebooks. CLICK HERE to get started.
[A Year in Books – 2016 by Philip Harris first appeared on Solitary Mindset on 9th January 2017]